Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Migrating Soap

Admittedly, I'm a bit of a germaphobe. I like to keep things at a certain level of cleanliness and wash my hands often. For years, I never used public restrooms and even to this day, I still have my problems.

Generally, I trust the people I work with so when I'm on the job, I get over most of my idiosyncrasies and take care of business. At the office where I work now, there is a row of five sinks in the mens' room. Because we men as a collective are lazy, the sinks across from the urinals are the ones most often used. Therefore, these are the sinks I tend to stay away from. When I see them, I cringe because the chrome handle is always either wet or smeared where the last person has used it. So, I use the sinks on the other end of the counter. However, the solution is not that simple.

When I first started working here, there were only two soap dispensers in the mens' room. Now, you would think that a peaceful solution could be reached by placing the soap between sinks 1&2 and sinks 3&4. I know this leaves sink 5 out in the cold, but honestly I don't think that many people other than myself use sinks 4&5. So yes, I'm willing to give up some ground to get what I want. Well, every day I would go in there and the soap dispenser that I had previously placed between 3&4 would have always inexplicably migrated to either between sinks 2&3 or the one between 1&2 would be placed to the left of 1 while the one between 3&4 was now to the right of 1. Every day I would move the soap back to a decent position and every day it would be moved closer to the urinal sinks. I tried a few variations, even extreme ones like putting both soaps between 4&5 to display my general displeasure and then both to the left of 1 to show how silly keeping soap in that position would be. Alas, the battle was long and the battle was hard.

Finally, after months of playing musical soap, a third dispenser was brought in as a peace offering. On the whole, this has worked. But imagine my surprise when I witnessed the scene pictured below. This arrangement is perfect for the person with two left hands, one right hand and no shits left to give for anyone else wanting to wash their hands. Oh, and the one on the wall? It doesn't work.

1 comment:

Sista GP said...

I guess this is a good time to tell you that there is a woman in our building that does not wash her hands before exiting the restroom.

When there are eating events, a few of us try find out what she contributes. She must do the same at home.

In the last round of Goodie Days, no one (in my collective) had knowledge of her contribution before the event. We all had additional prayers over the food.